Ten Twitter Accounts College Students Should Know About
By Tessa Climer
Twitter is one of the most popular social media sites of our time; there are millions of users that login in each day, and college students are a huge part of this community. Sure, it might be a major distraction from your studies, but you can also use Twitter as a resource. Here are ten accounts you should be following:
- The ‘Doah (@thedoahsu) – If you aren’t already following our super awesome Twitter page, then who are you even following? We try to keep up to date with what’s happening on campus such as delays, events, and cancellations, as well as interacting with our peers for a better, more efficient paper. #SelfPromo
- CNN (@CNN or @CNNbrk) – CNN and CNN Breaking News are both great twitters to follow to have an understanding of what’s going on in the world around you each day…which is VERY important.
- Hangry (@hangry) – This twitter is new to my life, but it is a page I advise everyone to follow because who hasn’t felt hangry? For those of you who don’t know what this means, it is being angry because of your hunger. The page is filled with delicious pictures of food and some comedic relief to help you get through the hanger. Is that the right word?
- The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) – The Washington Post gives you more local news, world news, sports news, music news…. Basically any type of news that you need to know about, they have your answers.
- Buzzfeed (@Buzzfeed) – A twitter to go to for pop culture, comedy, links to quizzes that will tell you which character from Friends you are and fun little videos on how to make yummy food.
- Matt Bellassai (@MattBellassai) – The twitter account you go to when you’re feeling stressed out or need a good laugh. He also has a weekly web series for Buzzfeed called “Whine About It” that is linked through this twitter page as well. Let’s just say his love for Beyoncé will give you life in your time of need.
- The Winchester Star (@WinStarVA) – The Winchester Star is Winchester’s local paper, so anytime you’re wondering about traffic around town or special events going on, you can most likely find it on this page or find a link to a more in depth article.
- Sports Nation (@SportsNation) – Sports are a pretty big deal to basically everyone, but college basketball and football seem to be a huge deal to more than just college students. This twitter page is a great place to see opinions and highlights from the college sports world as well as professional leagues.
- Associated Press (@AP) – Associated Press is a very well known global media outlet. Not only do they have a really informative Twitter account, but you can also get the app to get information sent right to you.
- Presidential Candidates – This could be anyone from Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders or @SenSanders), Donald Trump (@RealDonaldTrump), Hilary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) or ya know, you could be ahead of the game and follow Kanye West (@KanyeWest) to prepare for his campaign in 2020. On a serious note, as young adults, it’s very important to get involved in the presidential campaign. Stay in the loop and show your support for your candidate.
Well, there are the 10 sites I find most useful and helpful. Most of them provide information needed for classes or life in general, but every student needs a good laugh sometimes too. If there are Twitter pages you find helpful, let us know!